Andalusia Farm is open. Tour sizes will be at a 3 person maximum (which is the governor recommended 20% of our usual maximum tour size of 15). Due to University System of Georgia measures and procedures, all guests and staff must wear a mask or face covering on tours. All ticket purchases will be cashless transactions only, they will accept credit/debit cards and checks. Due to the size of certain rooms, and the desire to maintain social distancing, some rooms will be off limits or simply walked through. As a result, all adults will be offered the senior rate of admission to accommodate for this change.
Andalusia served as the home of famed American author Flannery O’Connor from 1951-1964. First settled in 1814, Andalusia was a cotton plantation and farm until it was purchased by Flannery’s uncle Dr. Bernard Cline in 1931. During the O’Connor’s residency, the site contained 14 buildings with over 520 acres of land that was used for dairy and beef farming. Following a diagnosis of Lupus in 1951, O’Connor moved to Andalusia to live under the care of her mother Regina Cline O’Connor. During the 13 years she lived at Andalusia, she completed the bulk of her literary work, as the farm’s environment influenced the setting of many of her writings. Following her death in 1964, the farm remained in the family until 2003 when it was given to a private foundation for use as a museum. In August 2017, the site was gifted to O’Connor’s alma mater, Georgia College.
Today, Andalusia serves as a museum whose mission is to care for, collect, interpret, and exhibit items that illustrate the history of the site during the time which Flannery O’Connor lived on the property (1951-1964). Andalusia is open for public tours and was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1980. Hours of operation are Tuesday-Saturday from 10-4 and Sunday from 2-4, with all tours on the hour and the last tour beginning at 4PM. The property will close each day to public visitors at 5PM and they are closed on Mondays.