The Presbyterian Church in Milledgeville was organized on June 11, 1826 with six charter members. The Reverend Joseph Stiles and Dr. John Brown were primarily responsible for the organization of the church. The church has had 25 installed pastors and currently has around 200 members. The first church building was constructed on the Statehouse square on land provided by the State Legislature. After several renovations of the original church, it was replaced by the present building. With the laying of the cornerstones, which was brought from Scotland and laid in 1904, the name of the church was changed to the First Presbyterian Church of Milledgeville. The new building was dedicated in 1906 and had major renovations in 1952. The church has existed for more than 200 years in Milledgeville.