Back To Listings

Old Capital Building

  • 201 East Greene Street
    Milledgeville, GA 31061
  • Phone: (478) 453-1803
Details
TripAdvisor
Yelp

Circa 1807, the Old Capitol is considered the first example of Gothic architecture in a public building in the United States.  It served as the seat of government for the State of Georgia from 1807 to 1868, and in its legislative chambers the Secession Convention was held in 1861.  Since 1879, Georgia Military College has occupied the historic site.  The building underwent a $10 million renovation in 2000.

Georgia's Old Capitol Museum, once on the ground floor, is now closed and will begin the process of packing up 30,000 artifacts and moving to a new location in 2018.

What's Nearby