TRAVEL ALERT: COVID-19

COVID-19 Travel Information for Milledgeville Visitors | Read More

Image

Flagg Chapel Baptist Church

  • 400 West Franklin Street
    Milledgeville, GA 31061

ABOUT

ABOUT

Renown as Milledgeville’s first African-American Church, Flagg Chapel Baptist Church was organized in 1830 by a small group of freedmen, under the leadership of a newly freed slave, Wilkes Flagg. Flagg served as the head pastor of Flagg Chapel Baptist Church from 1845-1878. During his leadership, the church also served as the first opportunity for African-American education in Baldwin County, opening its doors as the educational home of 350 African-American students while Eddy High School was being built in 1868. Sadly, the original Flagg Chapel burned in 1973; however, the congregation was able to rebuild a new church built in traditional brick and was erected in 1976 on the same site along West Franklin Street.

MAP