The Sallie Ellis Davis House opens as an African-American Cultural Center at Georgia College over a century after the renowned Milledgeville educator first moved into the home.

The historic home of Sallie Ellis Davis served as her residence from 1912 until her death in 1950. Daughter of an African-American woman and a native Irishman, Sallie Ellis Davis was born in Baldwin County in 1877. She attended Atlanta University and returned to Milledgeville to teach at the Eddy School from the late 1890s until her retirement in 1949, serving as principal for 27 years. After she died, Baldwin County recognized her by naming the Sallie Ellis Davis School in her honor. In 2000, she was inducted into the Georgia Women of Achievement.
Built in 1890, the house at 301 S. Clarke St. was used as a residence until 1989, when the University System of Georgia Board of Regents purchased it.

The transformation of the 123-year-old home into an African-American cultural center began in June 2009 just months after The Georgia Trust listed the educator's home as a "Place in Peril." Former Georgia College President Dorothy Leland and Carolyn Thomas, chair of the Sallie Ellis Davis Foundation, announced a partnership in October 2008 to save the historic house.

A goal of raising nearly $380,000 to restore and renovate the historic home was set by the Georgia College & State University Foundation and the Sallie Ellis Davis Foundation.