Georgia Trust for Historic Preservation Presents 23 Statewide Preservation Awards at Ceremony in Milledgeville
The Georgia Trust for Historic Preservation presented 23 awards recognizing the best of preservation in Georgia during its 36th annual Preservation Awards ceremony in Milledgeville on April 26.
The Old Post Office in Dublin, Ga. received the Marguerite Williams Award, presented annually to the project that has had the greatest impact on preservation in the state. Built in 1911 the grand neoclassical post office building was recognized for Excellence in Restoration.
The Old Post Office's restoration referenced the building's original plans, which had been stored in its attic, and paid close attention to the treatment of original finishes and period accessories. The finely restored building now houses a technology company and provides additional office space within Dublin's historic downtown. This project sets an excellent example of how to preserve and repurpose a decommissioned historic government building, a particular issue facing preservationists today.
The Trust also presented two awards for Excellence in Restoration, twelve awards for Excellence in Rehabilitation, two awards for Excellence in Preservation, and three awards for Excellence in Stewardship.
The Trust presented the Camille W. Yow Volunteer of the Year Award to Kimbrough Taylor of Atlanta. The Mary Gregory Jewett Award for Lifetime Preservation Service was given to Dr. Richard Cloues of the Historic Preservation Division of the Georgia Department of Natural Resources. The Sallie Davis House in Milledgeville received the Chairman's Award, which recognizes extraordinary contributions made to the field of preservation. The recently restored building on Georgia College and State University's campus was placed on The Georgia Trust's Places in Peril list in 2009.
The Excellence in Restoration winners were: Hill House at Andalusia, Milledgeville, and Pin Point Heritage Museum, Savannah.
Excellence in Rehabilitation winners were: Broad Street Apartments, LaGrange; Cakes and Ale Restaurant and Bakery, Decatur; Elbert County Armory-Auditorium, Elberton; Fontaine Hall at Columbus State University, Columbus; Henry-Cohen House, Augusta; Huntington Hall at Fort Valley State University, Fort Valley; 1921 Metter High School Building, Metter; Smith Drug and Seed Co. Building, Valdosta; Telephone Exchange Lofts, Macon; Thomas Hall House, Macon; Ware Hotel, Waycross; and Woodlawn Plantation, West Point.
Excellence in Preservation winners were: Savannah Children's Museum Exploration Station, Savannah, and Savannah College of Art and Design Museum of Art, Savannah.
Three awards were given to recognize Excellence in Stewardship in the field of historic preservation. The winners were: Atkinson Family Home, Madison; Massie Heritage Center, Savannah; and Vinings Historic Preservation Society, Vinings.
"This year's winners represent a tremendous dedication to restoring and revitalizing Georgia's historic buildings and communities," said Mark C. McDonald, president of The Georgia Trust. "We are proud to honor such deserving projects and individuals."
For more than 35 years, the Trust has recognized preservation projects and individuals throughout Georgia who have made significant contributions to the field of historic preservation. Awards are presented on the basis of the contributions of the person or project to the community and/or state and on compliance with the Secretary of the Interior's Standards for the Treatment of Historic Properties.
Celebrating 40 years, the Georgia Trust for Historic Preservation is one of the country's largest statewide, nonprofit preservation organizations. The Trust is committed to preserving and enhancing Georgia's communities and their diverse historic resources for the education and enjoyment of all.
The Trust generates community revitalization by finding buyers for endangered properties acquired by its Revolving Fund and raises awareness of other endangered historic resources through an annual listing of Georgia's 10 "Places in Peril." The Trust helps revitalize downtowns by providing design and technical assistance in 102 Georgia Main Street cities; trains Georgia's teachers in 63 Georgia school systems to engage students in discovering state and national history through their local historic resources; and advocates for funding, tax incentives and other laws aiding preservation efforts.To learn more about The Georgia Trust and the Preservation Awards, visit www.georgiatrust.org.
Editor's Note: For additional background material and more information on each award-winning project including downloadable high-resolution images, please go to www.georgiatrust.org./preservation/preservation_awards_2013.php.